Just like people, pets need to see the doctor on a regular basis, even when they are well. During a wellness exam, we examine your pet from nose to toes to be sure that everything looks, feels and sounds normal. Wellness exams also give us the opportunity to get to know you and your pet. We want to learn all about your furry family members, and encourage you to share information about their behaviors, eating habits, exercise regimen, likes and dislikes, home environment, and anything else that distinguishes your pet as the individual he/she is. During your visit, we will also answer any questions you have and share our knowledge of your pet’s species-, breed-, gender- and age-specific health needs.
An Ounce of Prevention
Many conditions and situations that can negatively affect pets can be prevented by working with your veterinarian to decide what care and services are needed and when. Your pet’s health needs will change and grow as he/she does. Melrose Animal Clinic staff is committed to providing exceptional preventive care through all ages and stages. Based on your pet’s individual needs, we:
- Vaccinate pets to protect them against infectious diseases, according to the pet’s individual risk factors and the guidelines set by the American Veterinary Medical Association, American Animal Hospital Association, and American Association of Feline Practitioners.
- Screen for conditions of the eyes, ears, heart, lungs, skin, coat, musculoskeletal system, endocrine system, teeth, gums and more during your pet’s wellness visits.
- Conduct blood and urine testing in our on-site laboratory, as appropriate for your pet’s age and symptoms.
- Work with you to protect pets and human family members from parasites such as heartworms, fleas and ticks.
- Provide preventive dentistry services and education.
- Spay and neuter pets to prevent unwanted litters, behaviors and, in some cases, health issues. Melrose Animal Clinic staff adheres to stringent safety and pain management protocols for these procedures because we are extraordinarily mindful of your pet’s comfort and well-being.
- Offer the HomeAgain® microchip system to help reunite you and your pet if you are separated.
- Offer education and advice on any and all pet-related topics, from nutritional needs to behavior training.
To learn more about caring for your pets—canines, felines, young and old—follow the links below.